Monday 2 April 2018

A week of very big ups and downs

I feel it would be very reader-friendly to summarise the past week's highlights.


1) Last Sunday, I ran the Cleevewold 14 - a beautiful and frantically undulating 14 mile multi-terrain race, organised by Cheltenham and County Harriers, which starts from medieval Postlip Tithe Barn near Winchcombe. The route weaves up to Cleeve common and returns via Belas Knap neolithic burial mound. After about 3 miles of grueling ascent there were rewarding, panoramic views right over my home town of Cheltenham. Contrastingly to the previous Sunday's unexpected snow day, which had still left some snow drifts in some of the highest parts of the race, it was a lovely, bright sunny day and we weaved up and down fields of newly born lambs and calves. I would totally recommend this race to anyone who enjoys a low-key, friendly, well-organised, TOUGH, HILLY and unpretentious race. No medal or T-shirt, just a chilled bottle of Cotswold beer with memento glass at the end.



2 ) I managed to squeeze in a 9 x 800m session around Victoria Park as a final 'tough session' before the Berlin Half next week-end...eeek! My hope is to try and get a time under 1 hour 50. I would "really" like to get closer to 1 hour 45 minutes. My Vitality 'Big Half' marathon in London a few weeks ago followed a week of weather turmoil which hindered training, and Berlin is apparently flat and fast!  I really hope the past couple of Sundays' longer and more challenging runs will have bridged some gaps in my endurance and the increasing intervals sessions will have sharpened my speed. FINGERS CROSSED!

3) I've been offered a fantastic job, with a fantastic local charity, which puts on fantastic events... but more on that soon! Having decided to leave my previous job - it was the first interview I went for and I REALLY wanted it, which I think must have made a huge difference. I'm overjoyed that I turned a negative situation upside down. This has really done wonders for my motivation and self-esteem.  I can't wait to start working with my new team.

4) I was third female in the local parkrun in Leamington and first in my age category! I literally woke up half an hour before...(!) It was very muddy... and in my haste to get ready, I put on my new Asics road shoes (in crisp, minty blue) - only to have mud splattered all over them just walking to the start! By the end of the race, mud was (right) up my legs, across my arms and even on my face! It was also a fellow Run Warwick member, 'Kevlar's' 100th parkrun, so he was adorned with a brown '100th parkrun' tabard (which may have been white when we started!)  It was good to see another regular Run Warwick member, Billy on the course, passing me just after the hill but this kept me hanging on right up to the end (I finished just behind him).  Abi, James and Sue were also there, Abi and Sue on bar-code scanning duties. It reminded me, I really should volunteer again soon!



5) I need to work out WHAT IS GOING ON with my training and my body.  I am intrigued to know what approach will help my running and where I might be going wrong.  I have dabbled with kettle-bells, core strength work-outs and read up on different training plans and strategies, and listened to the advice of others. However, I feel like I've hit a plateau, without any informed learning to really move forwards and improve. Admittedly, I was just enjoying getting back in the saddle and really enjoying running again and even though I'm not sure I could ever reach my PBs again, it would be nice to try and not just put it 'down to my age'.

I am really excited to have an opportunity to explore learning about my fitness genes and have a more methodical and structured approach to training and nutrition based on exactly how my body works it all out. It's all about 'Fitness Genes' and I am thrilled to have the little DNA collection kit in my possession to start my own DNA journey and understand how I can really make improvements to my running and fitness. I will be sharing that journey with you!


No comments:

Post a Comment